Windows systems are used to perform numerous tasks. These tasks accumulate a lot of data and files on the system which creates problems over time. A lot of data on the system cause cluttered and unorganized disk space which affects system speed and performance negatively. In this article, we can discuss ways to free up disk space on Windows 10 effectively.
1. Delete temporary files: Temporary files accumulate on your device over time and occupy a lot of precious disk space. These files generate via your apps and other programs. You can remove these files for better system speed and performance.
To remove these files, follow these steps;
• Go to Start menu and select Settings > System > Storage.
• Under Storage option, select This PC > temporary files.
• Now under temporary files option select Delete temporary files and confirm it.
2. Delete downloaded files: Whenever you download something from the web, your system stores a copy of the file in your Downloads folder. This Downloads folder accumulate lot of files over time and occupies a lot of disk space.
To clean this folder, follow these steps.
• Go to Start menu and select Settings > System > Storage > This PC > Temporary files.
• Now select View downloads under Downloads option and remove all unnecessary files from Downloads folder.
3. Empty Recycle Bin: When we delete some file (s) it goes to Recycle bin so that you can recover that file from there. To permanently delete these files remove them from Recycle Bin.
To do this, follow these steps.
• Go to Start > Settings > System > Storage.
• Now under Storage > select This PC > Temporary files.
• Under Recycle bin, select Empty recycle bin and confirm it.
4. Uninstall apps you don’t use anymore: This is one major aspect which occupies a lot of disk space on our system as we keep on downloading multiple apps all the time. Among all these apps many of them remain idle on our system occupying precious disk space for no good reason.
To remove all these unnecessary apps from the system, follow these steps.
• Go to Start > Settings > System > Apps & features.
• Now search for a specific app or sort them to find space-hogging apps.
• Now select the app you want to delete and press Uninstall to remove it instantly.
5. Move files to external drives: This is one effective step to keep your data safe and to free up disk space on your system. You can move your photos, music files, documents or other files to external drives to recover some disk space instantly. You can access this data anytime from external drives.
To move your data to external drives, follow these steps.
• Start with connecting removable media to your system.
• Open File Explorer from the system Taskbar and find the files you want to move.
• Now select those files and go to Home tab, and select Move to > Choose a location.
• Select removable media location from the list and select Move.
You can try these simple steps to recover some precious disk space on your Windows 10 system. In other options, you can try to save new files to another drive or you can also save your important data to Cloud servers. Cloud backup tools allow you easy store and access option to your data.